28°C

Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Attractions Langwarrin

Description


Hours: Every Sunday from 11am to 4pm (Last admission to the house is 3.30pm).

Phone: 03 9656 9889

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate, open on Sundays for guided tours, and available for wedding, function, group tour and education bookings.

Mulberry Hill Entry Fees:

National Trust Members:                      Free
Adult:                                                  $10
Concession/Senior:                             $7
Child:                                                  $4
Family (2 Adults & 2 Children):            $26

Mulberry Hill is closed during July and August each year.

Description

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate. It is open on the second Sunday of the month for guided tours and also available for weddings, events, and group tour and education bookings. Mulberry Hill was the home of Sir Daryl (artist) & Lady Joan (author) Lindsay.

Designed by Harold Desbrowe Annear, this magnificent American Colonial style-home was built in 1926 as an extension to a pre-existing 1880s weatherboard cottage.

Sir Daryl Lindsay was Director of the National Gallery of Victoria from 1941 to 1956, and was knighted in 1957 for his services to Australian Art. A member of the famous Lindsay family of artists, he was an accomplished painter and print maker. He also assisted in founding the National Trust of Australia (Victoria) in 1956 and was its first president.

His wife, Lady Joan Lindsay was an artist and writer, best known for her novel, Picnic at Hanging Rock. Her autobiographical novel Time without Clocks is about the Lindsay’s life together at Mulberry Hill and includes commentary about the arts and social history of the time.

The house and its contents, a collection of Australian art, Georgian furniture and glassware and Staffordshire ceramics, was bequeathed to the National Trust by Sir Daryl and Lady Joan Lindsay.

For group or function enquiries, call the Bookings Office on 03 9656 9889 from Monday - Friday.

 

More Like This

cultural heritage
Comfort Station

Comfort Station

The Comfort Station is thought to have been constructed in c1951-52. Sited on a prominent corner on the Nepean Highway, the Comfort Station was a popular stopping point for motorists travelling to and...
Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Statue

Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Statue

A LIFE-size bronze sculpture of Dame Elisabeth Murdoch is located in the foyer of the Frankston Arts Centre.  The statue, commemorating the late philanthropist's contribution to her local commun...
Johnny Famechon Statue

Johnny Famechon Statue

A larger than life bronze sculpture of boxing champion Johnny (John) Famechon stands tall at Ballam Park to immortalise the icon who achieved so much during his career. The 2.5 metre high sculpture, ...
Frankston Pier

Frankston Pier

Originally built closer to the base of Oliver's Hill in 1857, the pier was constructed at its current site and extended into deeper waters in 1863, after a public petition.  The Frankston Pier h...
Grimwade Clocktower

Grimwade Clocktower

General Harold William Grimwade CB, CMG, VD (1869-1949) was one of Frankston’s most prominent residents and benefactors. The son of a wealthy wholesaler and parliamentarian Frederick Sheppard Grimwade...
Round House

Round House

This remarkable house has been a noted feature of the approach to Oliver’s Hill since it was built for the Henty family in 1953. Completely round, it is an elegant example of the architect Roy Grounds...
Cruden Farm

Cruden Farm

More than eighty years in the making and the heart of a working farm, the garden at Cruden Farm is a small piece of country set amid dense suburbia. It feels as if it will endure forever. Strong, heal...
Beauty Park

Beauty Park

Beauty Park links Frankston Waterfront with Frankston's George Pentland Botanic Gardens. It's a beautiful spot for a walk or stroll. Features: Playground with 5.8 metre high climbing net, com...
Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate. It is open on the second Sunday of the month for guided tours and also available for weddings, events, and group tour and education bookings. Mulberry H...
Yamala Mansion

Yamala Mansion

Yamala was one of the earliest mansions built on Oliver’s Hill. It was purchased in 1876 by Sir John Madden (1844-1918) who later became Chief Justice of Victoria, and was appointed Lieutenant Governo...

Map & Directions

385 Golf Links Road Langwarrin South Victoria 3911

Directions

Melway Reference page 107 C2.