28°C

Old School House Museum

Frankston Cultural Walk Frankston

Description


Hours: Open during school hours by appointment only

Phone: 1300 322 842

Old School House Museum located at a current school.

Description

Housed in a building over a hundred years old, this museum teaches education from the past. A period classroom includes information about some past students. Photographs and memorabilia provide an insight into the school system of the earlier days. Historical school rolls are also on display.

Mrs. Grace McComb, a Frankston pioneer having settled in the Frankston area in 1852, led residents in petitioning the Government for the grant of allotments 5, 6,7,8,9 and 10 of section 4 of the village of Frankston, Port Phillip Bay, for state school purposes. The application for the 3 acres was made on October 28th, 1873.

The land was gazetted as temporarily reserved for state school purposes on November 11th, 1873. By the end of October, 1874, a timber building large enough to accommodate 6- pupils was completed. Frankston State School opened on November 1st, 1874, with an enrolment of 45 children and Alexander Allan was Head Teacher and Augusta S. Petrie as Work Mistress. A three-roomed residence was attached to the school, possibly the result of the Education Department calling tenders for additions to the school in timber during 1880. By mid-1889, because the school's enrolment had risen to 250, the residence had been converted into a classroom and brick classroom added. Extensive alterations and additions were made to the school between 1913 and 1924 and the names of former pupils who enlisted in World War 1 were inscribed on bronze plates around the War Memorial, which was erected in front of the school.

The school's enrolment continues to increase and by 1923 the Masonic Hall supper room had to be hired. Grade 7 & 8 transferred to the High School when it opened there in 1928. By 1929 enrolments had reached 350. In 1937 three new brick classrooms were erected some distance from the original buildings and these classrooms and the new office, staffrooms and a shelter shed then formed the nucleus of the future school. Increasing enrolments meant overcrowding continued to plague the school during the early 1940s, despite the addition of a forth brick building in 1941.

A two-storied wing comprising six brick classrooms, built in 1945, relieved overcrowded conditions for a time, but Frankston continued to develop rapidly and by 1950 an enrolment of 905 meant overcrowding was again a problem, with halls and shelter sheds being utilizes as classrooms. The Education Department's policy in the 1950s of building new schools away from the business centre relived the situation. In 1959 Frankston was proclaimed a training school for future teachers. A Rural Training School was established in 1962 to train teachers for small country schools. A central library was built and opened by the Hon. L.H.S. Thompson, MLC, on August 1st, 1969. Head teachers who served for long periods at Frankston State Schools include Alexander Allan (1847-77), Thomas S. Robinson (1882-92), William H. Richardson (1907-17), James P. Jennings (1917-28) and William A. Shakespeare (1961-68).

Opening hours |Open during school hours by appointment only

Entry fee | $2.00 per person

victoriancollections.net.au/organisations/frankston-primary-old-school-museum

More on the history can be found here: frankstonps.vic.edu.au/our-school/history


More Nearby

Sasaki

Sasaki

A fully licenced and BYO restaurant located under the Hoyts Cinema Complex, which has been operating in Frankston for over 12 years. Serving a mix of Asian cuisines with a focus on Japanese and Chines...
Trims Restaurant

Trims Restaurant

Trims is your destination for casual dining, live music, great service and atmosphere. Your home away from home, Trims Restaurant is your "little local", providing coffee, eats, and smiles. Whether i...
Resurrection: Portrait in Profile (GONE)

Resurrection: Portrait in Profile (GONE)

Artist Bio:Artist Zedrone, was originally from Adelaide, before he decided to call Melbourne home. His artist journey began as a young graffiti artist, predominately using spray cans and acrylic paint...
Comfort Station

Comfort Station

The Comfort Station is thought to have been constructed in c1951-52. Sited on a prominent corner on the Nepean Highway, the Comfort Station was a popular stopping point for motorists travelling to and...
Metamorphosis - Two Spirals

Metamorphosis - Two Spirals

Public sculpture by Tetsuro Yamasaki from Japan Artists interpretation: 'The artist creates his work with joy and happiness, surprised and inspired by mankind's discovery of iron.' Located in the Li...
The Hop Shop

The Hop Shop

Located in the heart of Playne Street, The Hop Shop is Frankston’s independent home of craft beer. With 18 rotating taps of curated craft beer and over 100+ cold-stored brews available for take-away ...
Curved Wall

Curved Wall

Renowned for its diverse range of theatre, visual and digital arts from local, national and international artists, Frankston Arts Centre’s mission is to provide and inspire creative experiences that s...
Hayden Dewar

Hayden Dewar

Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowland Copperhead MangleThe mural is based around a photo of an old 18th century mangle (clothes wringer) found at the Frankston historical society, and research which revealed t...
Stand Up Paddle Boarding

Stand Up Paddle Boarding

Stand up Paddle boarding (SUP) is a growing sport and is easily accessible by all types of people wanting to enjoy the Bay or Kananook Creek with Frankston being the ideal location to try out the spor...
Crab Riders

Crab Riders

More Like This

cultural heritage
Comfort Station

Comfort Station

The Comfort Station is thought to have been constructed in c1951-52. Sited on a prominent corner on the Nepean Highway, the Comfort Station was a popular stopping point for motorists travelling to and...
Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Statue

Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Statue

A LIFE-size bronze sculpture of Dame Elisabeth Murdoch is located in the foyer of the Frankston Arts Centre.  The statue, commemorating the late philanthropist's contribution to her local commun...
Grimwade Clocktower

Grimwade Clocktower

General Harold William Grimwade CB, CMG, VD (1869-1949) was one of Frankston’s most prominent residents and benefactors. The son of a wealthy wholesaler and parliamentarian Frederick Sheppard Grimwade...
Frankston Park Gates

Frankston Park Gates

The Frankston Oval Gates were obtained from the Old Melbourne Gaol that had parts previously demolished. The massive iron gates were erected at the Frankston Oval where gate posts were built by stone ...
Frankston War Memorial

Frankston War Memorial

 The Frankston War Memorial hosted it's first Anzac Day Ceremony on 25 April 2016. Images are available in the photo gallery. The Frankston War Memorial is located in Beauty Park ...
Round House

Round House

This remarkable house has been a noted feature of the approach to Oliver’s Hill since it was built for the Henty family in 1953. Completely round, it is an elegant example of the architect Roy Grounds...
Beauty Park

Beauty Park

Beauty Park links Frankston Waterfront with Frankston's George Pentland Botanic Gardens. It's a beautiful spot for a walk or stroll. Features: Playground with 5.8 metre high climbing net, com...
Yamala Mansion

Yamala Mansion

Yamala was one of the earliest mansions built on Oliver’s Hill. It was purchased in 1876 by Sir John Madden (1844-1918) who later became Chief Justice of Victoria, and was appointed Lieutenant Governo...
Mechanics Institute

Mechanics Institute

Recently renovated to its former glory, the Mechanics Institute is situated on the corner of Plowman Place and Nepean Highway with sweeping views of Frankston Waterfront. Available for casual hire, t...
Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate. It is open on the second Sunday of the month for guided tours and also available for weddings, events, and group tour and education bookings. Mulberry H...

Map & Directions

40 Davey Street, Frankston