17°C

Wishlist

Old School House Museum

Frankston Cultural Walk Frankston

Description

Phone: 1300 322 842

Old School House Museum located at a current school.

Description

Housed in a building over a hundred years old, this museum teaches education from the past. A period classroom includes information about some past students. Photographs and memorabilia provide an insight into the school system of the earlier days. Historical school rolls are also on display.

 

Mrs. Grace McComb, a Frankston pioneer having settled in the Frankston area in 1852, led residents in petitioning the Government for the grant of allotments 5, 6,7,8,9 and 10 of section 4 of the village of Frankston, Port Phillip Bay, for state school purposes. The application for the 3 acres was made on October 28th, 1873.

The land was gazetted as temporarily reserved for state school purposes on November 11th, 1873. By the end of October, 1874, a timber building large enough to accommodate 6- pupils was completed. Frankston State School opened on November 1st, 1874, with an enrolment of 45 children and Alexander Allan was Head Teacher and Augusta S. Petrie as Work Mistress. A three-roomed residence was attached to the school, possibly the result of the Education Department calling tenders for additions to the school in timber during 1880. By mid-1889, because the school's enrolment had risen to 250, the residence had been converted into a classroom and brick classroom added. Extensive alterations and additions were made to the school between 1913 and 1924 and the names of former pupils who enlisted in World War 1 were inscribed on bronze plates around the War Memorial, which was erected in front of the school.

The school's enrolment continues to increase and by 1923 the Masonic Hall supper room had to be hired. Grade 7 & 8 transferred to the High School when it opened there in 1928. By 1929 enrolments had reached 350. In 1937 three new brick classrooms were erected some distance from the original buildings and these classrooms and the new office, staffrooms and a shelter shed then formed the nucleus of the future school. Increasing enrolments meant overcrowding continued to plague the school during the early 1940s, despite the addition of a forth brick building in 1941.

A two-storied wing comprising six brick classrooms, built in 1945, relieved overcrowded conditions for a time, but Frankston continued to develop rapidly and by 1950 an enrolment of 905 meant overcrowding was again a problem, with halls and shelter sheds being utilizes as classrooms. The Education Department's policy in the 1950s of building new schools away from the business centre relived the situation. In 1959 Frankston was proclaimed a training school for future teachers. A Rural Training School was established in 1962 to train teachers for small country schools. A central library was built and opened by the Hon. L.H.S. Thompson, MLC, on August 1st, 1969. Head teachers who served for long periods at Frankston State Schools include Alexander Allan (1847-77), Thomas S. Robinson (1882-92), William H. Richardson (1907-17), James P. Jennings (1917-28) and William A. Shakespeare (1961-68).

More Like This

cultural heritage

Mulberry Hill (National Trust of Australia)

Mulberry Hill is a historical house and estate. It is open on the second Sunday of the month for guided tours and also available for weddings, events, and group tour and education bookings. Mulberry H...

Comfort Station

The Comfort Station is thought to have been constructed in c1951-52. Sited on a prominent corner on the Nepean Highway, the Comfort Station was a popular stopping point for motorists travelling to and...

Mechanics Institute

Recently renovated to its former glory, the Mechanics Institute is situated on the corner of Plowman Place and Nepean Highway with sweeping views of Frankston Waterfront. Available for casual hire, t...

Yamala Mansion

Yamala was one of the earliest mansions built on Oliver’s Hill. It was purchased in 1876 by Sir John Madden (1844-1918) who later became Chief Justice of Victoria, and was appointed Lieutenant Governo...

Round House

This remarkable house has been a noted feature of the approach to Oliver’s Hill since it was built for the Henty family in 1953. Completely round, it is an elegant example of the architect Roy Grounds...

Dame Elisabeth Murdoch Statue

A LIFE-size bronze sculpture of Dame Elisabeth Murdoch is located in the foyer of the Frankston Arts Centre.  The statue, commemorating the late philanthropist's contribution to her local commun...

Grimwade Clocktower

General Harold William Grimwade CB, CMG, VD (1869-1949) was one of Frankston’s most prominent residents and benefactors. The son of a wealthy wholesaler and parliamentarian Frederick Sheppard Grimwade...

Beauty Park

Beauty Park links Frankston Waterfront with Frankston's George Pentland Botanic Gardens. It's a beautiful spot for a walk or stroll. Features: Playground with 5.8 metre high climbing net, com...

Johnny Famechon Statue

A larger than life bronze sculpture of boxing champion Johnny (John) Famechon stands tall at Ballam Park to immortalise the icon who achieved so much during his career. The 2.5 metre high sculpture, ...

Old School House Museum

Housed in a building over a hundred years old, this museum teaches education from the past. A period classroom includes information about some past students. Photographs and memorabilia provide an ins...

More Nearby

Stacked Bookshelves

Artist Bio: Brigitte and Melissa are visual storytellers with 40 years’ experience and a keen eye for detail. They teamed up ten years ago to beautify walls in streets, homes and businesses. They love...

Cinars Shish and Kebabs

We are the HSP specialists. Lamb, Chicken or Mixed kebabs or HSP's, complimented by the Holy Trinity (garlic sauce, barbecue sauce and chilli sauce). Vegetarian and vegan options a...

Home

Artist Bio:Abbey Rich is a multidisciplinary artist working across canvas, walls and the body. Once at the helm of a fast growing fashion label and showing at VAMFF, Rich is now an exhibiting artist m...

Oasis

The Frankston Waterfront Mosaic Stream “Oasis” In 2004 the Frankston City Council commissioned Anna Minardo to install an artwork as part of the redevelopment of the Frankston Waterfront ar...

Power of Community

Materials: Stone and ceramic A sculptor and a potter by trade, Deborah Halpern is one of Australia's most celebrated sculptors, known for her wildly colourful mosaic work.

Halong2

HALONG2 Vietnamese Restaurant is where delicious cuisine is created with the ingenuity and passion inspired by the fantastic flavours of Vietnam. Family owned and operated, HALONG2 is where you ...

Kasturi Tandoor Indian Restaurant

Kasturi Indian restaurant is coloured with spices and drives you through the narrow food lanes of India. You are invited on a culinary pilgrimage across India, right here in Frankston without going a...

Frankston Waterfront

Frankston beach is perfect for non-powered water activities including swimming, stand up paddle boarding or even a walk. Celebrate with family and friends with open space, a playground, BBQ facilities...

Frankston to Baxter Trail

This off-road ‘shared path’ provides a pleasant recreation experience through a bike ride or walk. It follows the north and eastern side of the Stony Point Railway Line for most of its 7.5 kilometre ...

Local Artists Collaboration

A feature of Frankston's Gallery Lane, these pieces are a bit of a mystery. You will notice this wall changing periodically, with no explanation. 

Map & Directions

40 Davey Street, Frankston